Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Bigquery Connector - External tables?

Dear team,

I have been trying to access in PowerBI a table that comes from Google Sheets and is currently stored in BigQuery. In other words, BigQuery sees it as an external table. However, it does not appear in PowerBI. I have learned from this source that:

"This is because the Power BI Google BigQuery Connector doesn’t support External BigQuery tables. It only supports the Native BigQuery tables. Since Test_data is an external table, it doesn’t get listed here."

The same source above also tells me that there is a workaround, that looks like the code below, and is implemented in BigQuery:

CREATE TABLE `project_name.dataset_name.Test_data_NEW`

AS SELECT * FROM `project_NAME.DATASET_NAME.TEST_DATA`

This workaround works.

However, I would like to know if there is a more elegant/straightforward solution that is not a workaround.

Thanks for your attention!

Best,

Francisco

1 REPLY 1
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Since he is currently stored in BigQuery , why BigQuery sees it as an external table ? Maybe you can connect directly to Google Sheets through Google Sheets URL .

Ailsamsft_0-1658130389514.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors