Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BiLicence

Hi  My organisation has enterprise licence so all developer comes under "Premium Capacity " , but how we can share the report with end user ( - Business who wants to consume the data , within the organisation).  O365 admin advised to have pro licence for each user which is $10 each month . has anyone faced the similar problem ?

11 REPLIES 11
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your admin is not sufficiently informed. You only need a Pro license for report developers.  Developers create reports, publish them to premium workspaces, and then publish from the workspace to the app.  End users can be given access to the app without the need for a Pro license. (Make sure to enable the "Build" permission if you want them to use the "Analyze in Excel"  function).

Do not share content in the premium workspace. Always share via the app.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. COuld you please let me know what we can do at admin level i will ask admin ?

appreciate your help.

Your question is not clear.  What do you want to "do at admin level" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

is there some access that needs to be done at admin level. My end user cant aces the report even though i have assigned him "VIEW" Access for workspace. This is only for trial, we will build teh app later . 

Do not share content in the premium workspace. Always share via the app.

Yes, non-Pro users can be given viewer access to the workspace. That does not mean it is a good idea. The only use case I know of is for UAT, but that use case is quickly eroding with the implementation of deployment pipelines. 

Just don't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes i agree . we wont be sharing the workspace - Prod . This is our dev workspace  and we are using deployment pipelines. Users ownt have access to Test or Certified workspaces , we will be using APP.

but my question is what we need to do at )365 level to give user the access for dev workspace if he doesnt have Pro Licence ? is it possible . If yes, what needs to be done ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi WE have checked all the setting . everything looks ok. still user is getting the error .  Can you please help ?

error.png

Who is controlling the Pro license pool at your company?  Do you know who your tenant admin is?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes i know the tenant admin

Talk to them about that setting. I know that many IT departments revolted when Microsoft tried to implement the individual purchase option for PRO licenses. This can be controlled by the tenant admin (and/or O365 admin), and should be kept at off.  Instead, the tenant/O365 admin should be the ones governing the distribution of your tenant's Pro license pool.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors