Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Giuliano_DC
Regular Visitor

Power BI publish to web - security and dashboard

Hello everyone,

I have two questions regarding Power BI "publish to web".

- How comes it is not possible to publish dashboards? I was only able to publish reports but i would like to embed a Dashboard into my website.

- I don't quite understand the security issues behind the "publish to web" tool. On the support website it says several times not to share private data with "Publish to web". What if i will embed the html code (given by "publish to web") into a web page that is accessible only for registered users (users have to perform a log-in to access the page)? If the user logs into the website and then copies the link and sends it to another user, will this other user be able to open the website without registration? I am a bit confused about the security issues about "publish to web " in general ... isn't it just enough to embed the html code into a web page that requires logging-in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It means that they can potentially use any publish to web URL and put it on a website. Or even make it possible to potentially find it via Bing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Giuliano_DC,

- How comes it is not possible to publish dashboards? I was only able to publish reports but i would like to embed a Dashboard into my website.

By now, there is no option to publish the dashboard to web, but you could vote this idea here which has been submitted in Power BI ideas forum and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner.

I don't quite understand the security issues behind the "publish to web" tool. On the support website it says several times not to share private data with "Publish to web". What if i will embed the html code (given by "publish to web") into a web page that is accessible only for registered users (users have to perform a log-in to access the page)? If the user logs into the website and then copies the link and sends it to another user, will this other user be able to open the website without registration? I am a bit confused about the security issues about "publish to web " in general ... isn't it just enough to embed the html code into a web page that requires logging-in?

You could have a reference of the answer of @GilbertQ .

Best regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there, that can certainly be done.

But Microsoft does reserve the right to use the Publish to Web in their own websites.

As well as if someone gets the link to the dashboard they can share that with everyone. As at the bottom of the publish to web, there are options to share.

Power BI Blog

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

"But Microsoft does reserve the right to use the Publish to Web in their own websites".. What does that mean?

Thanks

It means that they can potentially use any publish to web URL and put it on a website. Or even make it possible to potentially find it via Bing

Power BI Blog

Ok, thanks a lot for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors