Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Kengaroo
Regular Visitor

Power BI Service Test Account

I built a WPF application that communicates with the Power BI API. The goal of this utility is to allow my IT/Implementations team to manage workspaces, apps, and datasets all in one solution. We will be installing our app on over 100 customers accounts. This includes installing a data gateway on their personal servers, then logging in to their organizations Power BI account, download and install the app my company provides, then provision it to work with the customers data source. This is heavily manual, so I built the utility to allow for if not all majority of these setting changes.

I need to test it with an external account. It works within my organizational account, but I need a way to ensure that it will work if we log in through another organizations account.

I tried using a personal account but I can't get Power BI without a work or school account. I tried setting up a free Azure AD tenant to then create an account but that failed as well.

What options do I have to test my utility from an external org account? 

2 REPLIES 2
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Kengaroo 

I invite you to read this. 

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users using Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft...

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

This is a great reference. Thank you. But it doesn't look like it's what I need. I need a way to access an external (or "fake") customers Power BI Service through my utility. The utility works great on my companies organizational Workspaces. I now need to figure out a way to test my utility by authenticating against an external organizational Workspace. 

That's why I was wondering if there is a way to temporarily create a Power BI Service account with Workspaces, that isn't within my organizations ecosystem. 

Thank you. 🙂 I also have my IT team working on it. They are looking into if they are able to do something like this, I figured I'd ask here since you all are a lot more involved and knowledgeable when it comes to the Power BI Service. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors