Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CEH2805
Regular Visitor

Power BI Related Content Visibility

Hello, 

I have a workspace that contains 1 dataset and 7 reports. Each report has been shared with an individual user via the link. The users have not been given direct access to the workspace. However, in the users "Shared with me" section, they are able to see related content (reports) from within the workspace. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Many thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @CEH2805 

According to your description, you share the report via the link instead of the directly acess sharing.

As I understand it, appearing in "Shared with me" is normal.

Share a report in Power BI Service, if shared through dicret acess, then the shared person can be directly visible in "Shared with me". If it is a link share, the person sharing will usually receive an email, and if the person is sharing opens the report, the report will be automatically saved in "Shared with me".

For this function, just to let the shared person have an entry to quickly find the shared content, the specific permission setting is still in your report.

For more information, you can refer to :
Display the dashboards and reports that others have shared with me - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya, 

Thank you very much for your response. Your answer does reflect the outcome of reports that have been shared via a link, thank you for that. However, it does not cover why users can see related content in their Shared With Me section which was not shared with them. Do you know why that could be please?

Many thanks

Chloe 

Hi , @CEH2805 

By default, only the user's existing permissions to the report will be visible in "Shared with me". You can go to the "Manage permission" section of this report to see if this report share to this people.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1683013757547.png

You can check if there is a sharing as a group or as a whole organization.

If this does not exist, then this user cannot open the report.

Second, when you publish an app or share a dashboard, you may also share the entire report with certain users by default.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya, 

Thank you once again for your reply this was insightful, but still does not fully resolve my issue. 

The user in question is not part of sharing group, I have checked this. The user does not have direct access to the workspace. The user only has the link to 1 report, but yet they can see and open 4 other reports (from the same dataset and workspace) in their Shared With Me section. 

I have reviewed the permissions and it does not say anything further than "people in my organisation with the link can access", but this specific user did not have the link. I have also checked and nobody else has shared the links to these other report to this user either. 

Best

Chloe

Hi ,  @CEH2805 

Thanks for your quick response!

You said that you check the permission for the 4 report and only one report has give the permission but the end user can see 4 report in "Shared with me" section. 

For that you said the report have "people in my organization with the link can access"  that means everyone have permissions in your organization. 

I tested it with me, and if it's a link share, it won't appear in "Shared with me" util he opened the report.

If possible, would you like to go to the Power BI audit logs to search for the 6 month period with the specific report ID that may this user open this report in one day?

For more information, you can refer to :
Track user activities in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors