Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hshelton

Power BI Export to File API Rate Limitation

I am looking to automate a solution that exports around 100 or so reports each month to pdf using the exportToFile API. 

It is my understanding that the Power BI exportToFile API allows one request to export a paginated report in a five-minute window on Premium Per User. 

Is this limitation per report, per organization, or per user? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @hshelton 

That's means the Premium Per User (PPU) can use the export API to process paginated reports, but can only be called once per user every 5 minutes. 

It's worth noting that the export API doesn't support to processing the power bi report.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hshelton 

The limitation is per capacity, and it affects all reports within that capacity. If you’re automating exports for around 100 reports each month, ensure that your capacity can handle the required volume of exports.

Some other limitations for reference:

The number of Power BI exports per hour will not be limited to 50 per hour per capacity, but only to50 report pages per minute per capacity.

There will be no maximum concurrent report pages limitation.

An export API operation load will be evaluated as a slow-running/background operation as described in Premium Gen2 capacity load evaluation

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-zhengdxu-msft , 

My organization is on the Premium Per User licensing. 

From this documentation page: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-paginated-report

I found the following information:

Concurrent requests

The exportToFile supports a limited number of concurrent requests. The maximum number of concurrent paginated report render requests is 500. To avoid exceeding the limit and getting a Too Many Requests (429) error, either distribute the load over time or across capacities.

With Premium Per User (PPU), the exportToFile API allows just one request in a five-minute window. Multiple requests within the five-minute window result in a Too Many Requests (429) error.

So, I guess my question is what does it mean when it says "the exportToFile API allows just one request in a five-minute window" if I'm on a PPU license? 

Thanks for your help!

Hi @hshelton 

That's means the Premium Per User (PPU) can use the export API to process paginated reports, but can only be called once per user every 5 minutes. 

It's worth noting that the export API doesn't support to processing the power bi report.

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors