Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JNoudt

Power BI Dashboard Permission denied error

Hi there,

I've given the user access in the Power Bi Workspace to the dashboard and in workspace (manage permissions), and in my security file and roles, its working for all other users except him, this is also the company domain. I've kept the same standard when adding in new users and never have I come across this issue.

Also, I've found a solution and tried it for the Power-Bi issue that I have: 

@Solved: Permission Required error - Microsoft Fabric Community

I tried it but it didn't help, I removed the user from the "file >> manage permissions >> direct access" from the data set, from the security file and the roles. then I refreshed but and re-added in the user, where I removed them, but nothing.

In the image above (Manage Permissions) and below (Security File), I validated that the I've kept the same syntax for the email:

Could I kindly request some assistance with this issue, please!

3 REPLIES 3
JNoudt

Not sure why it isn't picking up the user emails.

JNoudt

Hi @v-rongtiep-msft 

Firstly apologies for my late rely. 

After our last chat and your reply, I double checked the following:
- Semantic Model
- Workspace (workbook) / report / data set / dashboard

The user was given access and permissions to the above, both the workbook and semantic model. 
I even checked the Row-Level Security, which uses excel file that contains the email and role. I ensured that the email syntax was exactly the same everything. Made sure the user was in the correct role and only sitting in one role.

But all of that was correct, the role, semantic model, dashboard access, and that the dashboard had been shared with the user. But they still get the Oops, permission denied error.

When troubleshooting the power-bi pbx file, I added in new cards to the Oops screen to see if its passing the correct values, and noticed that it isn't picking up the email address. Thats all I could see.

on Friday, we sat and compared it to a working Power-Bi dashboard, and confirmed that the working one is using the same syntax and logic and the one thats broken. we checked the strings and everything. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JNoudt ,

Please refer to.

• Since the issue persists even after managing direct access permissions, it's worth reviewing the workspace access level for this user. Ensure they are added to the workspace where the dataset resides with the appropriate role (Viewer, Member, Contributor, or Admin). Workspace roles can impact access to underlying datasets.
  •  If your dataset uses Row-Level Security, ensure that the user's email is correctly configured within the RLS settings. An incorrect or missing RLS configuration for this user might lead to access issues.

More details: Manage semantic model access permissions - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors