Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mterry
Helper V
Helper V

New fields not visible to users

Recently I've attempted to make some basic changes to a published report, but any of the new fields I add are not visible to users in the service, though they are visible to me. I've tested several fields, all in matrix visuals, and various users I've tested with can't see any of the new fields. There is no RLS applied, the sensitivity is Internal, and they're able to see everything else normally. I know without sharing this is a very generic ask, but hoping someone can give some (any) advice on what could possibly be causing this?

8 REPLIES 8
Akah

Did you re-publish the report after update ?
What data source are you using ?
check for data source schedule refresh 

Yes I've republished multiple times. The data source is a few different csv files. The normal, scheduled refresh occurs daily, and there have been no issues with the refresh with respect to the existing fields. 

HI @mterry ,

When you say you make changes - where are you making the changes?  And, are you sharing the APP or the workspace version of the report?  If you have made changes in desktop, published to workspace but not "update app" then the changes have not made it throught the process?  Same if you are changing fields online and not updating the app.

If all that is true, go into Advanced Editor and make sure that there is not a "Columns = 'x' " type text in the string.  That sometimes happens.  The normal advice is to modify that number to the correct number of columns.  For me, AND NOT NECESSARILY RECOMMENDED, I always just delete that bit entirely because I don't want to deal with incrementing it.

If that is ok, then go to the query editor, to applied steps, to source and make sure that "Choose columns" has all of the columns you are looking for.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

I'm making the changes in BI desktop, and only the workspace version of the report is being shared. The fields are all pulling through in desktop, but in the service I'm the only one that can see these new fields. 

Hey @mterry ,

I understand that users in the Service can see other parts of the data but not this part.  I also understand that you do not have RLS turned on.  Do you have any sort of "privacy levels" set in the desktop?  (File - Options and Settings - Options - Edit Permissions)  And, do they match the version in the Service?

Are the users looking at the report in the app?  If so, after making changes and publishing did you update the app as well?

Is your version of Desktop quite old?  I am wondering about a mismatch between the Service version and the Desktop version.

Are the new fields added to an existing table/query or are they a new query - and therefore, is the Data Source/Gateway connected to the new source?

Do the new fields themselves actually have data in them - and do you have the "show items with no data" selected just in case?

Are the new fields in a data source that is not in the gateway but needs user permissions and these users do not have permissions to that data?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I updated my desktop version, republished and users are still unable to see the fields that I can see in the report in the service. 

Hey @mterry ,

I am not sure what next - other than to open a support ticket.  If you do a support ticket, please update us here with the result.  You can open a ticket here:  Power Platform admin center (microsoft.com)

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @collinq -

The Sensitivity is set to Internal in both the desktop report and in the service. My desktop version isn't old, but I'll update now anyway. Users aren't viewing the report in the app. The fields do have data - it's a field that's been in the dataset the entire time, I've just never used it in any of the visuals up until now. The field is a currency code, so every single row does have data too. I appreciate you taking the time to trouble-shoot this, let me know if there's anything else I should try or look into after I update BI. I should note that in the service I am able to see the new fields, just no other users, including admins of the workspace. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors