Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PBIJOURNEY
Regular Visitor

New data from updated excel file on sharepoint is not being refreshed in power bi

I have an excel raw data file. for the sake of this, its a single column that is attached to PBI for a report. The source is connected, an auto refresh is scheduled and working, the report is published to PBI service where i refresh from.

If I add a new row to the column in the excel file on sharepoint, hit enter, refresh then close the page, go to PBI Service and manually refresh, IT DOES NOT IMPORT THE NEWEST DATA though the refresh shows as successful.

Is there a delay between adding data to the sharepoint excel doc and PBIs ability to recognize the new data?

I can "get around this" by downloading the excel doc, making the changes on the desktop version of excel, and then reuploading it with the exact same name, replacing the document already existing on the sharepoint. Then I refresh in PBI Service and pow all the data is there.

Any insight into whats happening, why its happening and how to fix it would be great. I want to be able to add a row to the raw dat stored in sharepoint and have that reflect in the refresh from PBI service.

2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

If I recall, I think you need to close the file in order for Power BI to get the new data. When you have it open, it's considered "locked", so Power BI can't get to it. Maybe try closing, giving it a few second for the lock to drop, then refreshing? 

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @PBIJOURNEY ,

You asked about timing - if a file is updated, when you hit refresh in PBI then the latest and greatest version is updated.  There is no real time lag.  Your situation might have some due to internal reasons but even then i couldn't think of it being more than a minute.

Since it works locally when you go through all of the steps I am wondering "what is different" on the Service side.  is your SharePoint internal or cloud - that might mean you need a gateway.  Is the userid somehow different on the cloud?  I know you stated that the refresh shows complete.  If you go to the settings on the semantic model and look at the Gateway and Cloud connections, does it have any messages?  (You might not need a gateway but we are looking for errors.)  Or, if you look at "Data Source Credentials" do any of the data sources have a "Edit Credentials" option?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors