Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vckbx
Helper I
Helper I

New Column in PBI Dataflow not displaying in Dataset

I added a column to an existing dataflow in the PBI service, but when I refresh the dataset connected to the dataflow the new column does not display. If I download the dataset and refresh in PBI desktop, then the new column does display. Is there no way for the new column to display in the dataset without downloading the dataset and using PBI desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vckbx ,

Currently, columns imported into a dataset are decided in Power Query Editor(With it, you could add/remove columns or enable/disable load of tables). For dataflow, you could add a column by Edit it in Power BI service. But for dataset, product group doesn’t provide an option to open Power Query online for it. So if you would like to add a column to a dataset, you need do it in Power BI Desktop.

For the need of this feature, you may vote and add comments with more details for similar idea in Power BI Ideas. It’s a place where the product group collects needs and suggestions from users and they will take them into considerations when designing or improving this product. Link of the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=887f5c80-cfa9-44b5-b797-c1434fbd622e . Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vckbx ,

Currently, columns imported into a dataset are decided in Power Query Editor(With it, you could add/remove columns or enable/disable load of tables). For dataflow, you could add a column by Edit it in Power BI service. But for dataset, product group doesn’t provide an option to open Power Query online for it. So if you would like to add a column to a dataset, you need do it in Power BI Desktop.

For the need of this feature, you may vote and add comments with more details for similar idea in Power BI Ideas. It’s a place where the product group collects needs and suggestions from users and they will take them into considerations when designing or improving this product. Link of the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=887f5c80-cfa9-44b5-b797-c1434fbd622e . Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let me know. Thanks a lot!

I am having the same issue.

I added a new column in my excel file.  I updated the dataflow that is linked to the excel file.  I refreshed the dataflow.  I refreshed my dataset.  I can see the new column on the web in my dataflow, but it does not load in my dataset.

I don't understand the accepted solution.  I am linking to the dataflow without any edits in query editor so it should all flow through.

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

Please refer Solved: Dataset not updating after Dataflow has been updat... - Microsoft Power BI Community

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

No, this article appears to be a different issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors