Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BoostNest
Frequent Visitor

Month & Year order

Hi would appreciate some help. We are currently limited to usingt he app only not desktop so some of the other solutions don't/can't work for us.

We are trying to create a sales report that show sales by month in order from April through to March as march is the end of our financial year. We can get all the correct months in the financial year but not the order as the report currently either starts at Jan-17 and finishes in Dec-2016.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.59.43 PM.png

By changing the sort order, all it seems to do is reverse the order.

Can anyone help or give me some suggestions? The data is automatically fed from a Xero Dataset.

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a calculated column in the DateTable so the month is in the format YYYYMM

And then you can define "SortByColumn" property for the column that you want to show in your reports so that it would be sorted by this new column.

SortBy.jpgHope this helps

Michael

Thansk for your reply Michael.

Your suggestion looks like it is using the desktop version to solve the problem. Do you know how to correct this in the online/app version of PBI?

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you don't create .pbix desktop file and then Publish it to the online service?

This is the best practice as far as I understand

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, the data is fed from Xero, I see.

So I would recommend that you use YYYYMM format for Year-Month

This way it will order it ascending . Maybe YYYY-MM will also work for better presentation

Michael

Thanks again Michael for your reply, we are running OS X so am trying to get a solution without having to use windows VM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I understand you don't want to use Desktop.

So I propose that you create a new column in your CalendarTable

=FORMAT(CalendarTable[Date],"YYYYMM") and use this column in your report instead of the current one. 

So you will get the months ordered properly: 201611, 201612, 201701 etc.

All this you can do in the online Service

Thanks Michael, looks like an excel formula. I can't see anywhere in the Online app that allows you to enter those, simply edit and apply filters to the Xero dataset, which itself doesn't seem to be able to be edited.

I've had a bit of a google and it appears that you either need to edit in excel with the updates (windows) or use desktop. Is this what you mean?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors