Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental Refresh in Data Flow Incorrectly Pulls all Data

Hi, I have worked with several microsoft employees and we cannot figure out why my incremental refresh on my power bi dataflow is incorrectly pulling all data. 

Their dataset provides a date column, but it is in unix format. I convert this to a date/time column, but I do it in SQL so that the step is "evlauated by the data source" (called [col1]). However, when I add incremntal refresh with this new date/time column, this step is "evaluated outside the data source", so doesn't this mean that the query won't fold as it should, thus not performing an incremental refresh? 

I've attached a photo of the query steps. 

query steps.JPG

Here is step #2, which was created when I used the incremental refresh tool:

#"time_traces_1ft_view-5F636F6C31-autogenerated_for_incremental_refresh" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each DateTime.From([_col1]) >= RangeStart and DateTime.From([_col1]) < RangeEnd),

incremental refresh steps.JPG

1 REPLY 1
ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can check for folding by right clicking on your filter step and looking for View Native Query. However, you icon indicators suggest folding is not occurring. Another quick test is to use a very narrow range (e.g., one day) for RangeStart and RangeEnd and see if it refreshes quickly.

You can add steps to first convert your RangeStart and RangeEnd values into Unix time and use that in the filter step, which should fold.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors