Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

morganrosser
Regular Visitor

How to update report after changing a field from Salesforce

Hi, 

I have data coming into PowerBI from Salesforce. I updated a field name/API Name in Salesforce. 

When I go to refresh the dataset, I get the following error: 

Data source error: The 'NetSuite_Order__c' column does not exist in the rowset. Table: Order.
Cluster URI: WABI-US-NORTH-CENTRAL-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 120387ce-ee51-4684-afd6-601e0d500318
Request ID: 5ddd9def-fbec-3c78-fa45-40e33b9722d1
Time: 2023-05-16 14:56:55Z

I don't get the error when I refresh in PowerBI Desktop. 

If I publish the Desktop dataset to PowerBI, it'll delete my existing report. How do I refresh my data set without deleting my report? 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @morganrosser ,

The standard methodology is that you create a report in Desktop and publish it to the service and then you make any changes in the Desktop and re-publish over the version in the Service with the newer Desktop version.  

If you are using Scheduled Refresh (and why wouldn't you be 🙂 ) then the best way is to open the Service and download the file , make your changes and re-publish it.  That way you are working on the latest version on your Desktop and not just "overwriting" your Service version.

There is one other way that might be great for this example.  IF there is really just one field that changed, you can open the Service version, go to Edit and then make your change and then save it and update the App (if you have an App).

The Service edit capability is great for easy stuff like this.  One day it might be more robust (it is moving that way now with the Data Model options) but the Desktop is still the best way to make numerous and/or big chagnes to a file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @morganrosser ,

The standard methodology is that you create a report in Desktop and publish it to the service and then you make any changes in the Desktop and re-publish over the version in the Service with the newer Desktop version.  

If you are using Scheduled Refresh (and why wouldn't you be 🙂 ) then the best way is to open the Service and download the file , make your changes and re-publish it.  That way you are working on the latest version on your Desktop and not just "overwriting" your Service version.

There is one other way that might be great for this example.  IF there is really just one field that changed, you can open the Service version, go to Edit and then make your change and then save it and update the App (if you have an App).

The Service edit capability is great for easy stuff like this.  One day it might be more robust (it is moving that way now with the Data Model options) but the Desktop is still the best way to make numerous and/or big chagnes to a file.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq I'll take a look at using the service version to make a change. 

In this case, I went back and republished the data from Desktop. I don't love that it overrides my report and I need to recreate it. Hopefully the service version route doesn't do the same!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors