Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Geeco1
Helper I
Helper I

How to get a list of all Apps and users assigned

Is there a way to get an automated list of what users have access to what Apps in Power BI.  I know that I can go to each App individually and look at the permissions, but looking for something that produces a report or something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Geeco1 ,

Yes, you can use the Power BI REST API to get a list of users and their access to different apps. Here is an example of how you can do this:

Go to the Power BI REST API documentation and find the "Get app users" API.

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

This API call returns a list of users who have access to a specific app, as well as their access levels (e.g. Admin, Contributor, Viewer, etc.). To use this API, you will need to provide the app ID, which you can find by going to the app in Power BI and looking at the URL. For example, the app ID might be a string of numbers and letters after "apps/" in the URL.

To get a list of all apps and their users, you can use a loop to call the "Get app users" API for each app. This will return a list of users and their access levels for each app.

You can then use the Power BI REST API to create a new report or dataset, and use the app and user information to create a table or visual that shows the access levels for each app.

Alternatively, you can use the Power BI PowerShell cmdlets to get a list of apps and their users. Here is an example of how you can do this:

Install the Power BI PowerShell cmdlets by following the instructions here: 

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Connect to Power BI using the Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount cmdlet, and provide your Power BI credentials.

Use the Get-PowerBIApp cmdlet to get a list of all apps in your Power BI tenant.

Use the Get-PowerBIAppUser cmdlet to get a list of users and their access levels for each app. This cmdlet requires the app ID, which you can get from the Get-PowerBIApp cmdlet.

You can then use the New-PowerBIReport cmdlet to create a new report, and use the app and user information to create a table or visual that shows the access levels for each app.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ConstructionBI
Regular Visitor

ConstructionBI_0-1671567472268.png

ConstructionBI_1-1671567496778.png

This is in reference to the post above there is nothing in either link that has the information for the app users.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Geeco1 ,

Yes, you can use the Power BI REST API to get a list of users and their access to different apps. Here is an example of how you can do this:

Go to the Power BI REST API documentation and find the "Get app users" API.

Power BI REST APIs for embedded analytics and automation - Power BI REST API | Microsoft Learn

This API call returns a list of users who have access to a specific app, as well as their access levels (e.g. Admin, Contributor, Viewer, etc.). To use this API, you will need to provide the app ID, which you can find by going to the app in Power BI and looking at the URL. For example, the app ID might be a string of numbers and letters after "apps/" in the URL.

To get a list of all apps and their users, you can use a loop to call the "Get app users" API for each app. This will return a list of users and their access levels for each app.

You can then use the Power BI REST API to create a new report or dataset, and use the app and user information to create a table or visual that shows the access levels for each app.

Alternatively, you can use the Power BI PowerShell cmdlets to get a list of apps and their users. Here is an example of how you can do this:

Install the Power BI PowerShell cmdlets by following the instructions here: 

Power BI Cmdlets reference | Microsoft Learn

Connect to Power BI using the Connect-PowerBIServiceAccount cmdlet, and provide your Power BI credentials.

Use the Get-PowerBIApp cmdlet to get a list of all apps in your Power BI tenant.

Use the Get-PowerBIAppUser cmdlet to get a list of users and their access levels for each app. This cmdlet requires the app ID, which you can get from the Get-PowerBIApp cmdlet.

You can then use the New-PowerBIReport cmdlet to create a new report, and use the app and user information to create a table or visual that shows the access levels for each app.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Although I didn't fully automate as indicated here, I was able to use the "try here" feature on the API page and put in the app ID for each app that I have.  That returned the listing that I needed.

Thanks,

Hello,

Have they since taken this feature away? I no longer see the "Get app users" API and get an error using the Get-PowerBIApp and Get-PowerBIAppUser cmdlets. Those also do not show under the refernces for the PowerBI cmdlets. There does not seem to be any other way to get which users have access to what apps.  It seems you can't even export it from the service either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors