Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ThomasWeppler
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

How do you see what people can see in row level security in the service?

Hi Power Bi comunity

When I type in an e-mail addrese in the power Bi service to see what other users see I just get an empty table, but when I talk with the user he see all the appopite information. So it seems like something goes wrong when I try to see what he sees. 

e-mail.png

I know you can see it in the desktop and that works fine for me, but I also want to enable other members  of the workspace to view what different users can see so that is why I want to see it in the service.

5 REPLIES 5
ThomasWeppler
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Thanks @ribisht17 and @lbendlin  I have wathced the video and read the link you shared to me.
My problem is that when I use the 
userprincipalname()
To filter my report the test as function doesn't seem to work even when I type the e-mail in.
But when the end userlog into the solution they can only see the data that they need to see, so it seems like

view as in Power BI service and userprincipalname() doesn't work togther.

Just check what userprincipalname() is showing ,sometimes it shows in a different way in Desktop then Service

Domain\Ritesh vS RITESH@COMPANY.COM , that could be the problem

Just use a measure userprincipalname()and see what is the format inside by dragging this measure to a table visual

Regards,

Ritesh

@ribisht17 
I have tested a bit and it does show diffrent in the Desktop and service version.
In the desktop it shows the name of the pc while in the service it shows the e-mail adresse that is used to log in. 

To give a few extra details

I have a table with diffrent assingments.
Each assignment has an e-mail connected to them in one of the columns.
This e-mail show who should be able to see it.
The diffrent users each have an e-mail they use to log into the powerBI service.
When I work in the desktop and view as a specific e-mail I will only see assignment that person is responsible for which is great, but in the service solution I don't see anything.

So in short you are right that the desktop and service versions userprincipalname(), but I am still unsure what I should write to check what people see in the service, because it seems like the e-mail adresse should be the right answer.

Further info:
When I user the view as function in desktop version I need to check off the categori and other user and define the e-mail. But in the power bi service I can only choose a cetegori or type in an e-mail so maybe there is where the problem come from.

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

@ThomasWeppler 

Here is a nice video on the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxU_FYSSnYU

Regards,

Ritesh

Mark my post as a solution if it helped you| Munde and Kudis (Ladies and Gentlemen) I like your Kudos!! !!
My YT Channel Dancing With Data !! Connect on Linkedin !!Power BI for Tableau Users 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors