Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

odraode
Frequent Visitor

Excel Pivot connect to SSAS Tabular doesen't work in Power BI Service

I have an worksheet in Excel, with one pivot table, connected to a tabular model deployed to a server. I am not able to navigate it through PowerBi.com

I did it the following steps:

• I uploaded the file to One Drive for Business and  opened  it through PowerBI.com using the "Connect, Manage and View Excel in Power BI" option.
  • When I try to navigate it (from the Reports section), it gives me a warning that says: Be careful. The query to get the data might be unsafe so you should only refresh the workbook if you trust its source. Do you want to refresh the workbook? The options are "Yes" and "No", I click on the "Yes" button.
  • Once I click on the "Yes" button, an error message this time pops up: External Data Refresh Failed. We were unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook. The following connections failed to refresh: NameOfMyConnectionToTabularModelInExcel. The only option: OK.

I don’t see any trace in SSAS Profiler (it could be that the request doesn’t arrive to Analysis Services anymore?!).

I do have a gateway setup between PowerBI.com and my tabular model server. I can consume all the reports realized with PowerBI Desktop from that same server through PowerBi.com.

Also, If I use an Excel file with a pivot table using a SQL Server Connection instead of a Tabular one, I am able to navigate it (drillthrough, filter etc).

Is it a way to manipulate the connection behind this excel in order to refresh the spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

6 REPLIES 6
mitsu
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

At this point the excel pivot created on top of the Tabular Model cannot be refreshed in the Power BI.com , which why you see the mentioned error . One would need to use the SSAS as a source on Power Pivot or Power Query create a Pivot on the Power Pivot Model and upload the same on one drive and connect to same using the 'view excel' for the Excel based Pivots to be refreshable in powerbi .com , using the personal gateway . 

However based on the ideas forum the Power Bi team is already working on this . So we should have something to handle this soon .

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/8984308-ability-to-connect-excel-...

Hope this helps .

Thanks ,
Mitsu

Anonymous
Not applicable

New Analyze in Excel function still does not solve issue of uploading an Exel workbook with a Pivot table connected to a SSAS Model.  Figured new feature + Enterprise Gateway would fix this...any help?

I'm still searching for a work around for this.

There has to be a way to connect an SSAS connected Power Pivot file to Powerbi.com so that it refreshes and funtions properly.

I'd like to use the charts I have from Excel in Powerbi.com.

Hi - Was anyone able to find a solution for this.  I'm having the same issue.

Thanks.

odraode
Frequent Visitor

Clear, thanks! Added 3 votes to this!

odraode
Frequent Visitor

Hello, there is someone that can help me on this?

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors