Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error sharing Free users (internal, External are OK)

Hi all,

I'm kind of new with powerbi.

meanwhile i have activated my trial of pro account for my company to be able to create several Workspaces, one for each Hotel we have.

In each workspace i have the respective Dataset, Report and Dashboad, as they connect all to differente DB (one for each hotel)

Now i want to share the dashboards with my coleagues. But theirs Powerbi free accounts are within a differente domain.

Example:

The Pro account (mine) where are the reports has the domains "company123.com" ;

There are other users with accounts with this domain;

There are other users with different domains like " hotel333.com"

Now there's the thing; i Share the report using the "embed, website or portal" and i copy the generated link and i send to all os the users.

user with the main domain (company123.com) can't  see the Dashboard, they receive a message asking to upgrade to Pro licence;

The others, who are suposed to be outside the organization because they have a different domain, CAN see the Dashboard

the users who have accounts  with hotel333.com, when i give them permission to see the report, their email "changes" to email @ EXT# hotel333.com.onmicrosoft.com

Anyone can help me?

Thank you and sorry my english

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

When you create a tenant for your organization, it will then be registered two different DNS entries by default.  The two DNS entries that will be created are the following: guyinacube.onmicrosoft.com and guyinacube.sharepoint.com (a tenant name: guyinacube )

The default domain for the Tenant will be guyinacube.onmicrosoft.com.  Any users I add at this point will have a login/email address of user@guyinacube.onmicrosoft.com if I do nothing else.

When  you sign up for it,  your email address will be checked:

If that domain is registered as a Tenant, we will try to add that user to the existing Tenant. (That will asks for pro license)

If the Tenant does not exist, it will be created a shadow tenant that isn’t managed by anyone, and add your user to that tenant.  Other users with the same email address will be added to that as well. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@Anonymous Regardless of which domain is clicking the link on the report, all end users need to have a Pro license. My initial guess is that the individuals in the other domain either already have a trial activated, or they are covered by a license. (Pro, Premium). The internal users would have the same restriction, they would have to activate a trial or have a Pro account to view the report. 

Technically, you could share directly with all the users from the report itself. The wierd external email address is derived from your tenant Azure AD, it needs to understand who those users are because they are outside the domain so those are their guest accounts in you tenant.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer wrote:

@Anonymous Regardless of which domain is clicking the link on the report, all end users need to have a Pro license. My initial guess is that the individuals in the other domain either already have a trial activated, or they are covered by a license. (Pro, Premium). The internal users would have the same restriction, they would have to activate a trial or have a Pro account to view the report. 

Technically, you could share directly with all the users from the report itself. The wierd external email address is derived from your tenant Azure AD, it needs to understand who those users are because they are outside the domain so those are their guest accounts in you tenant.

none of the others accounts (except one and is the same domain as i) have trial of Pro or premium activated. I have created all the accounts and didnt give them the access yet.

Please see the image in this link

Except i, the owner, all the users detailshotels . com CANT see the embebed Dashboad.

the one who is in the domain  aquapedradosbicos . com CAN.

This thing happends in all the workplaces... all the non detailshotels .com can open their dashboard...

i was looking in Admin Portal of office365 and i have 2 domains:

detailshotels .com

detailshotels.onmicrosoft. com

And all the users with NON detailshotels .com domain , when i'm giving them permission to the dashboad, the autocomplete of powerbi service suggest the email with an #EXT#@detailshotels.onmicrosoft.com .. And this guys can access..

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors