Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

david2
Helper I
Helper I

Error refreshing data

Hi all,

I have built a dataset in Desktop and published to web.  When i (or my team members) try to refresh the dataset in the online version (Service), i get the error below. I am running a gateway on my computer which seems to be working fine.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks!

Last refresh failed: Thu Nov 24 2016 13:32:46 GMT+0100 (Romance Standard Time)
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Hide details

Data source error:Not a legal OleAut date.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface.
Cluster URI:WABI-EUROPE-NORTH-B-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:0139c7b7-322a-4582-b9f0-c6db05c4efa2
Request ID:46e29236-5b99-bfc8-2729-2d977159482f
Time:2016-11-24 12:32:46Z

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @david2,

According to my knowledge, the above error always occurs when there are incorrect date values such as 11/09/0016 in the data source.

In your scenario, please look at all date values in Power BI Desktop and correct those illegal date values, then re-publish the Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service and check if you can refresh the dataset successfully.

There is also a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Not-a-legal-OleAut-date/td-p/9615

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia! Do you know if there's any way to figure out which data source contains the incorrect date? I have 30+ sources in my data model with most of them containing multiple date columns...

In any case, thanks a lot!

Hi @david2,

One method is to sort the date column of each data source in query editor to check minimum date value and maximum value, then try to identify incorrect date vaule.
2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks alot! I went through every date column in my data model, but didnt find any incorrect date values. However, the update is working again now, so not sure what the issue was. In any case, it's now fixed so thanks for your help 🙂

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors