Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sc20d2

Error: Source is accessing data sources that have privacy levels which cannot be used together.

I have a datasource that works fine in Power BI Desktop/Power Query. However, when publish to the service and try to refresh it from there, I get the following error: 

Data source error[Unable to combine data] Section1/Query1/u_Source is accessing data sources that have privacy levels which cannot be used together. Please rebuild this data combination.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action. Table: Query1.

In this Power BI report, Query1 is the only datasource and is pseudocoded below, just to illustrate the structure:

let 
    _auth = 
        let
			//*** Bunch of code to call an authentication API and return a bearer token ***
            Source=DataRecord,
            token = Source[token] 
        in
            token,

_get_json = (offset as number, limit as number, direction as text, year as number, month as number) as list =>
        let
			//*** Bunch of code to call an API using the bearer token from _auth 
			//    for a particular date period, page through results, and consolidate ***
            Source = Json.Document(Response)
        in 
            Source,

_cm = 
		let
			//*** Bunch of code to call _get_json for the current month ***
			#"cm_Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(cm_Table,{{"total", Int64.Type}})
		in
			#"cm_Changed Type",

_lm = 
		let
			//*** Bunch of code to call _get_json for last month *** 
			#"lm_Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(lm_Table,{{"total", Int64.Type}})
		in
			#"lm_Changed Type",

//*** Append data frrom last month and current month ***
    u_Source = Table.Combine({_lm, _cm})
in
    #"u_Source"

I have looked through many posts on this topic and have already followed the guidance as far as I can tell:

1. Ensured all the data sources are set to the same privacy level (back when the above was broken out into 5 separate functions and data sources: auth, get_json, current_month, last_month, union)
  2. Dropped the privacy levels setting to Always ignore Privacy Level settings
  3. Dropped the native database query setting to not require user approval for new native database queries
  4. Dropped the data extensions to (Not Recommended) Allow any extension to load without validation or warning
  5. Consolidated what started as 5 separate functions/datasets into the single one pseudocoded above

This issue happens consistently in that it always works in desktop and always fails when refreshing in the service. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been clear guidance on how to solve this problem definitively, at least based on everything I've read. 

Would appreciate any help from Power Query/Power BI experts here, and thanks in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
sc20d2

@GilbertQ or others. Just resurfacing this to see if there are any more ideas of how to troubleshoot this?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sc20d2 

What you might need to do is to bring all the other tables or code into this single query?

Also what happens if you create a data source in the Power BI Service where you can set the Privacy settings to none?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thanks for the notes. I've isolted this entire report down to a single datasource as described above, so there are no other tables or code to pull into this query. Also, all privacy settings are already set to none. I've looked through the guidance on other posts as described above and have tried reducing the privacy settings and consolidating to a single query. Any other ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors