Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Embedded report data export

We want our end user to be able to export data directly from the reports and visuals, same way you can do it in Dektop or BI Service. However, when you publish to web this funcionality disappears. I came to know that it is not available. My question, then, is: What is THE BEST solution which would enable our end users to export data directly from embedded reports? (Do they need a BI Service account? Can we give them access token? etc.)

Any help appreciated!
M.J.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous So, its not often I'm just blatantly wrong. I struggled with this within my org, but it turns out I'm an idiot and had a specific setting in my report that removed the report headers.

Don't tick the "Hide the visual header in reading view" box under Visual Options in report settings.

Publish to Web removes this ability, but normal embedding in an application supports it. Sorry! So, this allows you to embed in an application and have external users export to excel. This is probably the most cost effective way to meet your needs as you can start with an Azure A sku (embedded), the only downside is that you need to create an application front end, but that shouldn't be horrible if you have no validations around authenticating people.

SO - Changed answer - Yes, this is supported, just not in publish to web.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Anonymous The same export functionality that you have within the Power BI Service for your own domain users is not supported in any fashion for external users via any of the embedded solutions. (Publish to Web, Embed, Embed in Application).

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply! That is what I understood from all the forums and tips I've checked. 

If you mind me asking: We NEED this functionality.

To clarify our position: We are a municipal organization and we work on Open Data and other public projects and we care deeply to share the data with end users. It is a shame PowerBI does not have this functionality, but I understand that, I guess. Anyway, we also need to share this data with other municipal organization or even other municipalitites, because we take care of data for a large area and various purposes. Is the only solution to have a Pro account for every user in every organization and municipality OR to have a huge "organizational" Premium account where we would share the reports?

I know it's not your fault, but I cannot put my head around this functionality....you can see the data in the report, why cant you just simply export it. Anyways, we were not able to get decent support from Microsoft here in Czech republic so any recommendations and consultations apreciated!
@Seth_C_Bauer 
M.J. 

@Anonymous I also need this functionality, but unfortunetly it just isn't there... I wish it was as my organization has needs for it as well. Let me see if I can get a better answer around if this is a gap or something that there are other options, or if premium is indeed the designed route.

In terms of Pro vs. Premium, I haven't tested out the premium route but I would assume that as long as the user is consuming the report in the Power BI Service that they would be able to export.

BTW - I love the Czech Republic, beautiful country. (My wife is from there, and I've visited many times)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... It just doesn't make sense. I do not want my user to go to BI Service, neither does he. All we need is for him to be able to stay in the visual/ report and export a bit of data he might need to print out or whatever. Really a shame.

Let me know if you find a solution! We're trying to get in touch with someone with enough Power BI knowledge to help us solve the problem, otherwise we might be forced to see what the competition has to offer.

@Seth_C_Bauer

Hi I also have this problem, I would like public users/consumers to be able to download the underlying data. Has there been any solutions to this.

I am reading about allowing access to to the report through azure b2b, and perhaps creating a self-sign up, e.g. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/external-identities/self-service-sign-up-ov...

Any suggestions are more welcome!

@Anonymous So, its not often I'm just blatantly wrong. I struggled with this within my org, but it turns out I'm an idiot and had a specific setting in my report that removed the report headers.

Don't tick the "Hide the visual header in reading view" box under Visual Options in report settings.

Publish to Web removes this ability, but normal embedding in an application supports it. Sorry! So, this allows you to embed in an application and have external users export to excel. This is probably the most cost effective way to meet your needs as you can start with an Azure A sku (embedded), the only downside is that you need to create an application front end, but that shouldn't be horrible if you have no validations around authenticating people.

SO - Changed answer - Yes, this is supported, just not in publish to web.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors