Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RT8
Regular Visitor

Dynamic data source refresh using Power BI Service

Hi Anybody, I need help. My M following M code works in desktop version. But when I try publish Power BI service I get the following error "This dataset includes a dynamic data source. Since dynamic data sources aren't refreshed in the Power BI service, this dataset won't be refreshed. Learn more: https://aka.ms/dynamic-data-sources.". As you see in the code below I am using relative path and query. What am I missing? Any help provided is much appreciated.

let
APIName = "scans",
myList = GetbaseURLAndAPIKeyAndlimit(),
baseURL = myList{0},
APIKey = myList{1},
mylimit = myList{2},
header = [#"x-apikey"= APIKey],
//extendedURL = baseURL & APIName & mylimit,
myList1 = {APIName, mylimit},
extendedURL = Text.Combine(myList1),
Source = Json.Document
(
Web.Contents
(
baseURL,
[RelativePath = extendedURL,
Headers = header]
)
),
Source1 = Source,
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Source1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"scan_id", "scan_type", "scan_date", "scan_description", "scan_mitigated", "asset_count", "scan_file_name", "finding_count_critical", "finding_count_high", "finding_count_medium", "finding_count_low", "finding_count_informational", "finding_count_pass", "finding_count_fail", "finding_count_warning"}, {"Column1.scan_id", "Column1.scan_type", "Column1.scan_date", "Column1.scan_description", "Column1.scan_mitigated", "Column1.asset_count", "Column1.scan_file_name", "Column1.finding_count_critical", "Column1.finding_count_high", "Column1.finding_count_medium", "Column1.finding_count_low", "Column1.finding_count_informational", "Column1.finding_count_pass", "Column1.finding_count_fail", "Column1.finding_count_warning"})
in
#"Expanded Column1"

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RT8 ,

Has your problem been solved and if so, please accept the correct solution. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am very sorry for the delay in responding. My problem is yet to be resolved completely. After reviewing all the posts, I understood that I cannot use a variable when calling Web.Content for the base URL. But this means I have to hard code APIKey. This solution was not acceptable to our team. Also this meant the user is anonymous which was not acceptable to power BI Service (no problems with power BI desktop). Hence we have opted to get username and password option rather than APIKey option. We are in the process of getting approvals for that option. As soon as that happens I will verify the resolution in Power BI service for data refresh and accept the solution.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @RT8 

This is because in your inquiry you are still passing your URL dynamically. Here is a podcast from Chris Webb explaining how to do this. Chris Webb's BI Blog: Using The RelativePath And Query Options With Web.Contents() In Power Query An...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors