Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

matthewcornish5
Frequent Visitor

Displaying PowerBI on TVs

Hi All

I know others have done this so its def possible, but can I get the **bleep** thing to work.

What I Want:

Display a power bi app on a tv that scrolls through the pages after 30secs

What I have In Place:

A dumb TV hooked up to a mini desktop running PowerPoint with each page on its own slide using the native PowerBI connector

Whats The Problem:

Within an hour pages will start showing errors on the visuals stating it couldn't get the data. Reloading it fixes it or loading it on my desktop is fine. For pages that don't show errors, the will eventually freeze and stop updating. The report updates every 5sec (direct query with page refresh set to 5sec) showing operational stats for our business.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidCousins
Frequent Visitor

Install the Windows 10 App (not Power BI desktop) and use the slideshow feature to rotate pages from the report. It can only do one report however.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @matthewcornish5 ,

I doubt that the problem is the tv as the tv is just the "dumb display" as you state.  So, the real question is as to why the mini pc stops updating.  Is there something else running on the pc that might affect this - a screensaver or an automatic cache reset or the userid being used has a token refresh or some other connection item that causes it to stop refreshing?

Also, is WebView 2 installed? (Troubleshoot the Power BI add-in for PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Learn)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Nope. I have tried multiple different methods/machines, all eventually stop updating at some point

Hi @matthewcornish5 ,

I would recommend trying the service Power BI Slider. You just have to log in with your Microsoft Power BI account. The platform will load your workspaces and reports, and finally, you will be able to set up a presentation for your report.

Regarding "stop updating" you mentioned, you will be able to set up a schedule to check for data changes in the dataset.

It is really useful and requires minimal configuration.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors