Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DennesTorres
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Dataset and Semantic model in source control

Hi,

When saving a report/semantic model as PBIP to use in source control, the semantic model folder has an extension.

At some point, the extension changed from .Dataset to .SemanticModel. The new versions of Power BI Desktop only save as .SemanticModel.

The problem is:

If I already have 10 reports depending on that semantic model, which in the source control is on a folder with .Dataset extension, what happens if out of the blue the Power BI Desktop saves it in a different folder? Will all 10 reports be broken?

Do I need to be using the .SemanticModel folder to use TMDL, or is it possible to use TMDL with the .Dataset folder ?

Are there limitations on the .Dataset folder, or as long we always open using the .PBIP we could keep using the .Dataset folder with no feature limitation?

Is there an easy way to migrate from one to another?

Kind Regards,

Dennes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KevinChant
Regular Visitor

I can use TMDL with the .Dataset folder just fine. I did a blog post that shows how you can upgrade an existing project to use TMDL a while back:

https://www.kevinrchant.com/2024/02/23/upgrading-an-existing-power-bi-project-to-include-tmdl-file-f... 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KevinChant
Regular Visitor

I can use TMDL with the .Dataset folder just fine. I did a blog post that shows how you can upgrade an existing project to use TMDL a while back:

https://www.kevinrchant.com/2024/02/23/upgrading-an-existing-power-bi-project-to-include-tmdl-file-f... 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @DennesTorres 

As far as I am aware, it will keep your existing settings. It is only if you change the actual settings that it should then change the format of the file extension.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors