Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

markusr
Frequent Visitor

Datamart Row-Level Security (RLS): also for Azure SQL?

Hi all, 

I know it's still in preview, but I tried to get row-level security to work for my datamart, and it works just fine using Power BI reports! 
It is also quite easy to assign the role to a domain user,  which automatically adds the user to the datamart: exciting!

It also enables the domain user to access the SQL Azure DB using tools like SSMS or Azure Data Studio, that's also great! But I can't get the row-level security to work in the SQL database, the filters are simply not filtering anything. Is it just me, does it work for anyone?
Is this actually a planned feature? Will it be using the Row-Level Security from SQL Server using security policies, and auto-generate the table-valued function you need for this type of security?

Grateful for any information, 

Markus. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @markusr 

Please refer to the following link, hope it can help you.

https://satoricyber.com/sql-server-security/sql-server-row-level-security/ 

https://www.sqlshack.com/sql-server-data-security-feature-rls-row-level-security-and-gdpr/ 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-zhangti ,

thanks for pointing out these links, which explain SQL Server RLS nicely! Now I know how to implement this myself manually. I was only hoping that Power BI Datamarts would do this for me, when I define Roles (including filter conditions) in my datamart! Is this included or planned, or am I mistaken here?

Yours, 

Markus.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors