Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KTN

Data gateway- Connect Power BI service dataset to Azure SQL database behind a virtual network

Hi, community, 

I'm having trouble connecting to the data source (an Azure SQL database behind a virtual network) once I publish my dashboard to the Power BI service.

From my understanding, I need to have a Data gateway to set up the connection between the dataset in the Power BI service and the Azure database. I have two options: the Vnet gateway and the On-prem gateway. As I do not want to register PowerPlatform in the Azure subscription, a prerequisite for the Vnet gateway, I am left with the On-prem gateway option. And I'd like to know how the On-prem works and how to set it up in my case.

From my readings, I must install the Data gateway on a Virtual machine within the same virtual network as my Azure SQL database. My questions are:

- Do I use a Remote desktop to connect to the Virtual machine and use it as if it is my laptop to install the Power BI Data gateway application? I am not familiar with the Remote desktop and Virtual machine concept yet. 

- Afterwards, can I only work with Power BI Desktop within the Virtual machine using the Remote desktop?

- Regarding performance and network latency, the best practice is to deploy the Data gateway and the Virtual machine within the same region as the database, correct? And this there anything other practice?

Please also share with me any other information that you find relevant and that I should also be aware of. I appreciate any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @KTN 

1. Yes you have to log into the VM, download and install the Gateway.

2. Yes you can work normally with Power BI on your laptop. It is only once the PBIX file is uploaded to the Power BI Service do you then need to connect it via the gateway.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KTN

Hi @GilbertQ

Thank you for your answer! I have some follow-up questions:
- Is the only way to install the gateway by remote desktop into the VM, then going to powerbi.microsoft.com website to download the gateway? Or are there other ways to do it? 
- Once the on-prem gateway and VM are set up, I can work with the Power BI desktop from my laptop/computer normally without the need to work from inside the VM, right?

Hi @KTN 

1. Yes you have to log into the VM, download and install the Gateway.

2. Yes you can work normally with Power BI on your laptop. It is only once the PBIX file is uploaded to the Power BI Service do you then need to connect it via the gateway.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KTN 

All of what you mentioned is 100% accurate. Well done on looking through the information.

I can confirm that you should have the VM in the same network as your Azure SQL Database. This will allow it to connect.

And yes you can remote desktop into the VM, install the Gateway and if needed also work on the VM with Power BI desktop.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors