Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rafaelBrasil
Regular Visitor

Data Mart Migration Help

Hello everyone, I need some help.

I have an instance of Azure Analysis Services that I want to migrate to Power BI Datamarts, but I have some questions.

We have very large tables in Analisys Services and for performance control we use partitions to have better performance in the tabular model.

Is there a migration roadmap from an analytics service to a datamart?
Another point, is there a data partition method in DataMarts?

I'm a little lost, during testing I didn't really like the performance of the DataMart.

Does anyone have a direction to give me?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

why are you migrating to data marts?

I would migrate AAS cubes to Power BI Premium datasets.

in PBI datasets you can manage partitions the same way you do in tabular models.

@R1k91 thanks for your answer.

We are trying to reduce the monthly costs a little, in addition to finding it interesting to use SQL queries using datasets that have already been modeled, within the business model we have here, it would make sense and could reduce the queries in Databricks a little.

But I confess that I reconsidered this idea, as I researched I think it is not possible to partition data using Power BI Datamarts... The data structure created behind it is an Azure SQL Server where the data is in "views" which I believe is not possible apply a partition function.

Do you frequently use premium datasets in your work? Do you have any best practice recommendations? How do you manage it? Does it via tabular editor, Rest API? If you could explain a little it would help me a lot.

Thank you again

R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

SQL backend behind Datamarts I think it's completely a black box and you can't build anything in it.

moreover Datamarts are in preview that means you mustn't use them in PROD environment. in case of issue there's no support guaranteed.

We usually work with big companies with premium datasets. 

if you enable "large datasets" you can scale up to 400 GB per dataset as AAS.

communication protocol is the same as AAS since Premium Power BI Workspaces expose XMLA R/W endpoint so you can run the same commands you run on AAS to Power BI datasets.

you can deploy with tabular editor or vs directly to premium workspace.

tabular editor can connect and work with premium datasets.

R1k91
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors