Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bhickok
Frequent Visitor

Data Gateway not allowing me update connections or to apply changes

In multiple clients the apply button on the data gateway cloud connections is grayed out after adding a dataverse connector. Also when I configure a connection with an onprem gateway the setting never update to the gateway connections even though they save in the manage connections and gateways page.

bhickok_0-1706385907082.png

bhickok_2-1706385984474.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bhickok
Frequent Visitor

So here is my resolve after alot of troubleshooting. Thanks to this article I realized that when I make an ODBC connection on the Power BI Desktop and publish it there is no way to change the connection string once it is published. Thus my problem was that the connection string was different on the machine I was developing on from the Data Gateway Machine that I was attempting to connect to in the cloud. Once I realized I needed to utilize a parameter it was super simple. Just add a parameter with the connection string in it, change the source of the data to reference the parameter, and then after publishing go into the semantic model settings and update the connection string to the correct value. 

Note: You cannot use ANY as an option on the parameter and be able to change it once it is published. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
bhickok
Frequent Visitor

So here is my resolve after alot of troubleshooting. Thanks to this article I realized that when I make an ODBC connection on the Power BI Desktop and publish it there is no way to change the connection string once it is published. Thus my problem was that the connection string was different on the machine I was developing on from the Data Gateway Machine that I was attempting to connect to in the cloud. Once I realized I needed to utilize a parameter it was super simple. Just add a parameter with the connection string in it, change the source of the data to reference the parameter, and then after publishing go into the semantic model settings and update the connection string to the correct value. 

Note: You cannot use ANY as an option on the parameter and be able to change it once it is published. 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bhickok ,

If you manually refresh via Power BI Desktop is it possible to refresh successfully?
Also, have you checked that your gateway is at the latest version?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

Hi Team_ Caitlyn,  I do have the latest gateway installed. If i'm in the network I can connect to the odbc and refresh without issue. Under the Gateway Connections it shows the Not Configured Correctly. I think I pin pointed where my issue is. When I created the report I was on a machine that was within the network and I utilized the OBDC connector on that machine to connect to the data source on another machine. When I can to publish the report and try to utilize the gateway it is trying to use the dsn from the machine I set it up on instead of allowing me to swap it to the gateway dsn. I'm not sure how to fix that though.

both the dsn name and the definition MUST match EXACTLY between desktop and gateway. Even that is not a guarantee. I remember we had a ticket where the product team acknowledged that they were randomly re-ordering the ODBC connection string in the service (!!!)

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can't have spaces in a dsn.

Thanks lbendlin for the idea. Unfortunately my actual dsn doesn't contain a space. I've also tested my dsn, driver etc, from a power by odbc connection and it works great within the network.

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors