Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kthakur
Helper I
Helper I

Create report option for guest users

Hi All,

I have added Guest users in my AD account and shared the dashboard with Guest users. can anyone please help me if they can get the option to create the report?

Thanks

Krishna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Creating and Editing reports require a Pro licence in the domain of the workspace.

Sharing outside the domain is always read-only.

So if you have two users with Power BI Pro Accounts...

Fred@burningsuit.co.uk

and

Jim@microsoft.com

fred, can share a report with jim, but it will be read-only. jim can only view the report. (and this is the same around the other way)

If you want Jim to edit fred's reports, Jim will need a burningsuit.co.uk Power BI Pro licence. jim@burningsuit.co.uk can then log in to Burningsuit's Power BI environment, and - subject to security in the workspaces  - edit Reports and Dashboards.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

To create reports in Power BI you need a Power BI Pro license.

Yes, my guest users have Pro licence. What permission do i need to provide them to create the report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To publish reports to a workspace they need to be a member of the worspace.

But I cannot add guest users in workspace beacause they are not part of our organization.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like you just answered your own question. If they are not a member of the workspace they cannot publish reports to your Power BI Service. One option would be for you to publish the reports for them to the workspace. The other option would be to create an account for the guest user in your organization. 

In Dataset section, if you click on create report(highlited) it allows you to create the report and save it. It doesnt get published to workspace as dashboard. Are you talking about this option?

Capture.GIF

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not specifically sure what your guest user have access to because we do not have this option in my environment. However, if the guest user can send you the Power BI report file (.pbix) and  you can publish this for them in your workspace.

Also, keep in mind the dashboards do not automatically populate with the new reports. You must pin the report object to the dashboard to see these object in the dashboard.

Thank you richard, my requirement is that guest users should be able to create the report. I can publish their pbix file but not sure how they will crete the new report.

In your application, can you check how guest users are creating reports?

Creating and Editing reports require a Pro licence in the domain of the workspace.

Sharing outside the domain is always read-only.

So if you have two users with Power BI Pro Accounts...

Fred@burningsuit.co.uk

and

Jim@microsoft.com

fred, can share a report with jim, but it will be read-only. jim can only view the report. (and this is the same around the other way)

If you want Jim to edit fred's reports, Jim will need a burningsuit.co.uk Power BI Pro licence. jim@burningsuit.co.uk can then log in to Burningsuit's Power BI environment, and - subject to security in the workspaces  - edit Reports and Dashboards.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Thanks Burningsuit!

I configured my data gateway suing domain B user and it is working now.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors