Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

adi38612
Frequent Visitor

Create Power BI Dataflow using a Semantic Model

Is it possible to create a Power BI Dataflow using a Power BI Semantic Model?

I have a Power BI Semantic Model being shared with me by the user/creator of the dataset. Now I want to use one table in the model in a Power BI Desktop report. I know it can be imported, but I need this table to be transformed in Power Query before I can use it. As I am unable to import the semantic Model in Power Query, I was wondering if I could create a dataflow referencing this semantic model, and then use that dataflow in my report.

Please share your valuable thoughts on this. Overall, I want an automated way of getting the data from the semantic model, rather than manually copying the data, creating a excel and then again to upload it in the report. This will need frequent refreshes, as the data gets updated quickly, and this is too manual to my liking.

TIA!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @adi38612 

The answer is No, You can't create a Dataflow from a Semantic model. You can use Direct Query connection to AAS(Or Power BI service) 

aj1973_0-1707953829353.png

and then you pick your Table. But you want be able to edit the Table in power query.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @adi38612 

The answer is No, You can't create a Dataflow from a Semantic model. You can use Direct Query connection to AAS(Or Power BI service) 

aj1973_0-1707953829353.png

and then you pick your Table. But you want be able to edit the Table in power query.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors