Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change SQL Server service is pointing to without republishing PBIX file

Dear all,

I have a situation where, a PBI dataset has recently started to kill one of our production SQL DBs on refresh, it will lock out all other users indefinitely until the PBI account has its access manually revoked.

We have cloned the production database and want to now crash this so we can determine why this problem occurs. Specifically why PBI will not timeout properly and instead locks out others users indefinitely.

I can identify the query that is casuing the problem as if I refresh the PBIX file in the desktop pointed at the cloned databse it will time out. This doesn't however kill the SQL server. So it is some issue with the Service.

Also, because the desktop PBIX file will timeout on refresh I can't publish the new one pointing at the cloned server.

So how can I change the server that the Service dataset is pointing to (from the production DB to the cloned DB), and then enable refresh to try and crash this cloned DB. Crashing the production database to determine what is going on is obviously not an option as it is one of the organisations important day to day systems.

I know I can fix the problem, but I don't want to do that, but rather identify how PBI is crashing our DBs so we can either stop it happening or switch to a different BI system owing to the introduced risks. from PBI.

We need to recreate this error if we are to enable Power BI through our organisation as we don't want to enable a service that will crash databases.

Thanks you very much for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

>>So how can I change the server that the Service dataset is pointing to (from the production DB to the cloned DB), and then enable refresh to try and crash this cloned DB.

I think it is impossible to directly change the service dataset without re-publish. Perhaps you can try to submit your requirement to ideas.

In addition, I don't think power bi will crash the database. It only get data from database and create the report without other operations.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

>>So how can I change the server that the Service dataset is pointing to (from the production DB to the cloned DB), and then enable refresh to try and crash this cloned DB.

I think it is impossible to directly change the service dataset without re-publish. Perhaps you can try to submit your requirement to ideas.

In addition, I don't think power bi will crash the database. It only get data from database and create the report without other operations.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors