Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MarkWojo1
Regular Visitor

Cannot change cloud connection

I have uploaded a new report to the service.  I tried configuring the connection to the data source ->

• Gateway and cloud connections
    • Cloud connections
      • Maps to -this is set to `Personal Cloud Connection`, but also has the option to `Create a new connection`.  I am able to create the new connection successfully, but I cannot select it in the dropdown.  I do see that it is created under `Manage connections and gateways`

Is there some special permission needed for this?

MarkWojo1_0-1703009365891.png

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarkWojo1 

I have typically found just to use the personal connection works best to make sure that the datasets can refresh successfully.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ thanks for the thoughts on this.  I was hoping to move in a direction where more than one user could maintain a dataset.  There's two issues that I have with the personal connection - one, I cannot edit the server or database, it's greyed out and, two, I'm a contractor and I do not want to leave behind connections that someone needs to reconfigure when my job is done.  

Hi @MarkWojo1 

I would then suggest creating a gateway connection, which can then be shared with multiple users, instead of a cloud connection?

Also someone will have to take over the dataset once you leave.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ it's a fair suggestion to use a gateway, but I'm not looking for a work around.  I'm wondering if I have something wrong with permissions or otherwise that I can't use the cloud connection that I created.  The gateway will add cost and, as you noted, won't allow more than one user to configure -- they have to take it over.  Because our data sources are all azure services, it makes a lot of sense for us to use this feature, but what's the secret incantation to make it work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors