Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Cat_Car

Can I add a data table (Excel format) to an existing report in Power BI Service

Hello Power BI community,

I am relatively new with Power BI.

I already built a report using the Desktop app and I then saved a copy on my workspace in Power BI service.

I need to add a data table in Excel format, but I don't see the option to get data directly in the report

Here is a print screen of my report. So I see the existing tables, but nowhere I see import data or get data.

Cat_Car_0-1682108457316.png

Thanks in advance for your help

Cat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ysquare
Regular Visitor

Hi @Cat_Car 

If i get you correctly, you want to add a new dataset with excel format to the report on the service so that you can use it in the report? If yes, you can add it to the report on Power BI Desktop, build your report and re-publish it, by doing that the new data will be on the service.

However if you want to build directly from the services with a new or existing dataset, it will be a fresh report. you will need to first add the dataset, to add dataset, go to the workspace you want to create the dataset/report, click +New and click dataset.
pbis dataset.jpgpbis dataset 1.jpg
then you can show Power BI to where the data resides. but always online source such as OneDrive

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cat_Car

Hello Ysquare,

It is in fact the first solution that I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Cat

Ysquare
Regular Visitor

Hi @Cat_Car 

If i get you correctly, you want to add a new dataset with excel format to the report on the service so that you can use it in the report? If yes, you can add it to the report on Power BI Desktop, build your report and re-publish it, by doing that the new data will be on the service.

However if you want to build directly from the services with a new or existing dataset, it will be a fresh report. you will need to first add the dataset, to add dataset, go to the workspace you want to create the dataset/report, click +New and click dataset.
pbis dataset.jpgpbis dataset 1.jpg
then you can show Power BI to where the data resides. but always online source such as OneDrive

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors