Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Azure Cosmos - bring back all time series documents based on type and key field on demand?

We have an Azure Cosmos database that holds JSON documents, of different types, each of which can have many documents for a single common "key" field, as the documents are created from events and are temporal. As this will be a fast-changing and ever-increasing datastore I'd like the connection to be real-time - that part I am comfortable with, however, I do NOT want to pull ALL documents of all types for all time into Power BI as I suspect the dataset will become extremely large very quickly and may be problematic for performance. One idea muted by the product owner was to be able to input the document type and its "key" in the PBI report and for that to instigate a pull of the required subset of data into the dataset.

1. Is this possible (I cannot use Power BI Premium services, such as Datamart, as we are a Pro organisation)?
  2. Is there a better way to achieve the end requirement?

Any ideas welcomed, thanks, Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

Could you please tell me if you are using live connection mode? 

This type of connection does not store a second copy of the data into the memory. Data will be kept in the data source, and visualizations will query the data source every time from Power BI. 

Another type of Live connection is to connect to a dataset published in Power BI service. This dataset will be treated as an SSAS instance. The dataset in Power BI service is hosted in shared SSAS cloud environment. When you connect to it from Power BI Desktop, it is like connecting to an instance of SSAS with a live connection.

For this option, you need to be logged in to the Power BI Desktop. You will see list of all datasets that you have Edit access on those, and then you can choose one of them;

After connecting to the dataset, then you will see the Live Connection message at the bottom right-hand-side of the Power BI Desktop. This method will work precisely similar to connection to SSAS with the Live connection.

More details: Live Connection; When Power BI comes Hybrid 

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RichHead1821
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you for your concise answer, I will try it as a live connection. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RichHead1821 ,

Could you please tell me if you are using live connection mode? 

This type of connection does not store a second copy of the data into the memory. Data will be kept in the data source, and visualizations will query the data source every time from Power BI. 

Another type of Live connection is to connect to a dataset published in Power BI service. This dataset will be treated as an SSAS instance. The dataset in Power BI service is hosted in shared SSAS cloud environment. When you connect to it from Power BI Desktop, it is like connecting to an instance of SSAS with a live connection.

For this option, you need to be logged in to the Power BI Desktop. You will see list of all datasets that you have Edit access on those, and then you can choose one of them;

After connecting to the dataset, then you will see the Live Connection message at the bottom right-hand-side of the Power BI Desktop. This method will work precisely similar to connection to SSAS with the Live connection.

More details: Live Connection; When Power BI comes Hybrid 

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried the dataset option, but gave up after 30 minutes (it had got to 980,000 rows), that's not a sustainable refresh rate for a daily report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors