Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cjenkins

Auto relationships fail to recognize any of my date time relationships between different data sets.

I have ~20 data sets loaded into PowerBI and I want to be able to easily make different visualizations with various sets of data. Each data set could either 1 pair of columns (Date/Time and Value) or multiple (as seen in the screenshot). However, in order to create a visualization with 2 sets of data, I have to go into 'manage relationships' and set a relationship between the date/time column in one data set with another, and then do that for every single data set. This can get very tedious as I have to do larger sets like this often.

The time data in each time column is in the Date/time type, as this is how the data gets extracted. If I try to assign two different value sets to one time set in a Line Graph, then one of the values completely breaks and displays as a super large number, or the visualization refuses to show anything at all. This works if I manually assign the relationship though and use the default settings. 

How can I fix this so that Power BI actually recognizes all my time data? 

Thanks in advance. 

PBItshoot1.png

PBItshoot3.png

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I think you mean data sources, not data sets.  (Datasets have a different meaning in Power BI)

In order for Power BI to help you recognize the potential for relationships these data sources need to supply meta data (ie field types) that match, and - equally importantly - field names that match across the tables.

How are your data sources related to each other?  Are they sibling facts, or are some of them dimensions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors