Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Analyze in Excel -- String connection password problem

Hi,

Since years ago, I'm using analyze in excel files connected directly to my PowerBI datasets. To configure that, i create the analyze in excel in the dataset in the powerbi service that generates the excel file connected.

Then I modified the string connection to add user and pwd directly in order to use that always without ask for sign-in becasue it is another account.

without pwd & user added ("original")

dobregon_1-1706010407626.png

Adding the user & pwd (invented for the example)

dobregon_2-1706010437917.png

This solution has been working since years until last month, but now it is not working. If we remove the password, it wokrs but we need to write the pwd but the client doesnt want this becasue it has been working good for years.

Someone know if something change? or why it is not working anymore? or other solution?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
3 REPLIES 3
v-nuoc-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dobregon 

It appears that there have been changes in the way authentication is handled for the "Analyze in Excel" feature in Power BI. Storing credentials directly in the connection string used to be a common workaround for seamless connectivity, but this approach may now be affected by updates to security protocols or changes in the Power BI service that require more secure authentication methods.

Here are some possible reasons why this method might not work anymore:

1. Security Updates: Microsoft frequently updates security measures to ensure the safety and privacy of data. An update might have deprecated the method of embedding credentials directly in the connection string.
  2. Authentication Protocols: There could be changes in the authentication protocols (like the transition to OAuth or the enforcement of TLS 1.2) that no longer support embedded credentials due to security risks.
  3. Service Changes: Power BI service itself might have undergone changes that affect how external connections are made, particularly those that involve passing credentials.
  4. Policy Changes: Your organization might have updated its policies regarding data connections, which could have disabled the ability to use embedded credentials.

Regards,

Nono Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-nuoc-msft thanks for the response

We can discard point 4 due to we dont have any new policy

Is it possible to know if this have been changed or is it part of the other 3 points? it is a functionality that has been working from years and now it is not working since December

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)
dobregon
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Can someone help me on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors