Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

Analyse in excel using report as source does not pick up measures in the report

I have built some Power BI Desktop reports, that use a dataset as their source. In the reports I have added some measures which are unique to the report and NOT in the dataset to keep the dataset "clean" as each report needs various specific measures. All of this works well.

When I use "Analyse in Excel" by clicking on the three dots next to the REPORT, I expected to see those measures I have added into the report, but I do not, I only see the measures in the base dataset.

Am I doing something wrong - it would be really useful to use the report as the datasource for Excel, including the additional measures I added into the report? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @andrewsimmans,

This is by design. When you open the downloaded file in Excel, an empty PivotTable and Fields list appears with the tables, fields, and measures from the Power BI dataset. You should create PivotTables, charts, and analyze that dataset just as you would work with a local dataset in Excel.

Reference: Analyze in Excel

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana

In Excel you cannot add in extra DAX measures. I have measures that are specific to the report and I do not want to put in the dataset as it is hard to manage as there are many different reports from one dataset. So I expected that if I clicked to analyse a report (not the dataset) in excel I would see these DAX measures.

Hi @andrewsimmans,

It seems that it is not available to view corresponding DAX formulas of exported measures.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors