Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dat_nguyen
Frequent Visitor

Add Analysis Services to Gateway (failed to impersonate the user)

Hi,

I need to add Analysis Services to gateway so I can combine my local data source with Analysis Services.

On Power BI desktop, I can connect to the server database using Microsoft account as authentication method.

But the gateway only allow Windows as authentication method.

Another cloud connection already made on the service using OAuth2 (but I cannot link it to other data sources of course)

Gateway is on a different computer than the database.

Question is: What username and password should I use here? Or what question should I ask the server admin (IT team / ERP supplier) so I can get the correct credentials to use here.

Thank you,

Sup.png

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

It must be Windows authentication and the connection user must be cube admin (via the need to have DISCOVER permissions).  You will likely try to challenge that but it will be futile.  Ask me how I know.

So the only way to publish and refresh a report (with data sources from both Analysis Services and local files) is to get the credentials to add Analysis Services to the gateway?

Is there any other ways to work around this?

Really appreciate your clarification on this.

There is no workaround.

@lbendlin So does the gateway has to be on installed on the same machine with the server?

That is very much not recommended. Gateways should not share their VM with any other app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors