Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

how can i automate a process to get data from a folder

i would like to automate a process to get data from a spefic folder from then i would set up schedule refresh.

1 REPLY 1
jst_jdennis

To automate the process of getting data from a folder in Power BI Report Server and setting it up on a schedule, you can use the following steps:

1. Create a data source for the folder: Go to the Power BI Report Server web portal, click on "Settings" in the top right corner, and select "Manage data sources." Click on "New" to create a new data source and select "Folder" as the type. Enter the folder path, authentication information if necessary, and any other relevant details.

2. Create a dataset that uses the folder data source: In the Power BI Desktop application, create a new report and go to the "Home" tab. Click on "Get Data" and select "More" at the bottom of the dropdown menu. Find the "Folder" connector and select it. Enter the folder path and any other relevant details, and click "OK" to load the data.

3. Create a report based on the dataset: Build your report based on the data you've loaded from the folder, using any visualizations and formatting that you want.

4. Publish the report to Power BI Report Server: Save your report and publish it to the Power BI Report Server using the "Publish" button in the Power BI Desktop application. Choose the workspace and folder where you want the report to be stored.

5. Create a data-driven subscription: Go to the Power BI Report Server web portal, navigate to the report you just published, and click on the ellipsis (...) to open the dropdown menu. Select "Manage subscriptions" and click on "New Subscription." Choose "Data-driven" as the subscription type and select the dataset you created in step 2 as the data source. Set up the subscription parameters as needed, including the schedule for when the subscription should run.

6. Save and run the subscription: Once you've set up the subscription parameters, click "OK" to save the subscription. The subscription will now run on the schedule you've specified, pulling data from the folder and updating your report accordingly.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Credit:  ChatGPT | DAX filter function issue. (openai.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.