Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workaround to having to mannually refresh and upload report to report server

Hi Community,

My current situation is that I have to manually refresh a report and then manually upload the report to the report server. This is because the IT and Security department of my company doesn't allow for external databases (the report in question is build on an Azure SQL database) to be chosen as a data source on our report server and therefore doesn't allow for automatic refresh function in the report server. I have tried to get access to place the Azure SQL database as a data source but the request was rejected by the IT and security team. I therefore as mentioned in the first sentence need to do the whole refreshing and uploading to the report server process manually.

is there any workaround for this kinda situation that allows for the report to be refreshed and uploaded to the report server automatically as doing it manually every 30 mins is seriously impacting my work productivity...

I was suggested that this might be possible with a power shell script but I don't have any experience in this field at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Stay Safe 

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's a rather curious setup. Normally Report Server is used when you have on-premise data sources that you don't want to place into a cloud environment.

Have you discussed switching to a Premium capacity?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @lbendlin thanx for the reply. We have discussed it in our company but the decision to switch to the premium power bi capacity hasn't been made yet so I would have to find another way of doing it for right now.Would writing a powershell script be a possible solution to my problem you think ?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can't think there is a way to automatically refresh report in desktop and upload to the report server. Maybe you can look into power automate. But I'm not very familiar with this area.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.