Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

Problem granting permissions for developer on PBIRS

I've got a new developer 'Bob' and am trying to grant him access to PBIRS to be able to save power bi reports from PBI desktop to the server. I've set roles as below, but he's unable to save from PBI desktop:

The root folder (Home):

BUILTIN\Administrators ---- Content Manager

Sub folder 'Dev Reports':

Domain\Bob  --------- Browser

Sub folder 'Dev Reports/Bob'

Domain\Bob  --------- Content Manager

when he tries to save from Power BI Desktop to his dev folder he gets this error message:

Les111_0-1713795602476.png

He can navigate to the folder in the browser and upload the file without problems but can't save there from PBI desktop. I've tried adding him to all roles (BrowserContent ManagerMy ReportsPublisherReport Builder) for his folder and the containing folder but this makes no difference. 

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Leslie

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Les111 ,

If Bob's Windows credentials are from a different domain than the PBIRS, there might be issues with direct saving.

Install Power BI Desktop for Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learnmentions that saving directly to a report server in a different domain is not supported. Using a web browser to manually upload the file is the recommended workaround.

Ensure that Bob is using the version of Power BI Desktop that is optimized for Power BI Report Server. This version is specifically designed to work with PBIRS and can be different from the regular Power BI Desktop version.

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Xianda, but he's in the same domain and is using the correct version of pbi desktop. 

Also I have other developers with the same settings who are able to save from power bi desktop successfully. It's just this particular user with the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.