Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zogamorph

Powerbi report server custom authentication adding machineKey

Hi  

I am trying to implement forms authentication and I am using the Microsoft Reporting Services CustomSecuritySample2016 example.  I can get the Report Server url to work however I am have issues with Portal becuase I need to add machineKey setting.  

Everytime I add this to the web.config or the applicaiton config the setting is removed causing the example to fail. I have post say that adding to the machine.config.  I would like to avoid this becuase this setting would mean that all applications would force to use the same setting.  Is there any other way to get this setting set only for Power BI Report Server  only? 

Regards

Steve

3 REPLIES 3
omankit

It not working in last release of power bi Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017).

Microsoft developers want put machinekey property to rsreportserver.config

and auto remove machinekey from web.config, Microsoft.ReportingServices.Portal.WebHost.exe.config
https://docs.microsoft.com/ru-ru/sql/reporting-services/extensions/security-extension/how-to-install...

But one of developer forget change search of parameter in new place.

Now you can only put it to machine.config and yes you get problem with other apps/

its not working even

zogamorph

Hi 

I am trying to implement the Microsoft Reporting Services CustomSecuritySample2016 on my Power BI Report server.  I have the explame working fine with the Reporting Server URL however I run into problems with the Portal URL.  I get the following error  System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data. This due to not be able to add the machineKey setting to the portal config as it get removes on a restart. 

I have seen a post that say to added it to the machine.config I need to avoid this as this would mean that all applications would be force to use the same this setting on the Windows server.  Is there another way be able to get this setting added so that only the Power Bi Report Server will use this setting? 

Regards

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.