Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Medmbchr
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report Server : Refresh data on a report

Hi,

I would like to refresh my data on a report hosted on PBI RS. Does the "refresh" button on the interface do that or does it just refresh the uploaded file?

My data comes from a SQL Server connexion/database

Please guide me.

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use Windows Authentication for the data source then.

When you change to SQL, change to "Basic Authentication" and put in your SQL credentials.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Jarrod
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Medmbchr,

Refresh does not refresh the dataset.

To refresh the dataset:

Click the 3 dots to the top right of the report iocon and click manage.

Check the Data Sources configuration ensuring you have credentials stored for each connection.

Under scheduled refresh, click "New Scheduled refresh plan". Fill in required details if you would like the refresh to be recurring, otherwise just click once.

Once you have created a scheduled refresh plan, you are able to select it via checkbox and click refresh now.

Hopefully this helps.

Hi

I don't see the 3 dots on my screen: below is a screenshot. I used Power BI report server (developer).

hh.png

Hi,

It looks as though you have opened the report. Prior to clicking on the report, there are 3 dots. See screenshot. Once you click the 3 dots, you can then click Manage and follow instructions as above.

Jarrod_0-1665906839420.png

Jarrod_1-1665906896453.png

Hi again

I have setup a local SQL instance (developer edition, which has an SQL agent integrated to it) on my machine and created a test PBI file linked to a database I created to try the scheduled refresh. However the refresh doesn't seem to work and the issue is with the SQL connexion (right above the Scheduled Refresh option), although I have a local instance with no username or password, testing the connexion gives an error.

Any idea how to bypass this?

Hi,

Great! I found it, thanks.

Since I don't have the credentials to be connected to be able to test it (need to use my client's computer), I'd like to know in advance how many times does this scheduled refresh allows you to refresh your report per day?

Regards,

Scheduled refresh can be configured as often as you like, however I'd advise against refreshing as often as every minute.

Jarrod_0-1665952214889.png

You should still have SQL credentials. These are configured when you set SQL up. I assume you are running the SQL code against a database? You would need these to run in SQL Server Management Studio..

Hi,

I'd like to set up an SQL credential, but if you check Data Source tab, you'll notice that it gives you choice between a Windows Authentication or a basic authentication (with no login or pwd).

What should I do in this case?

PS: I won't refresh every minute, each dashboard will be refreshed accordingly with the right intervale but it won't be a minute for sure, maybe half an hour but for one dashboard only.

Do you use a Windows Account or a SQL account to connect to your SQL Instance?

Windows for the time being, but I can change it to SQL. The thing is that Data source tab gives me choice between Windows credentials and no credentials only.

Use Windows Authentication for the data source then.

When you change to SQL, change to "Basic Authentication" and put in your SQL credentials.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors