Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DMC_PBI
Regular Visitor

ODBC connection error IM002 on report server

Hi,

We are running Power BI Report server Version 1.11.7815.26414 (May 2021) on a server with a 64-bit operating system.

I'm tyring to create an ODBC data source on the Report Server to run a paginated report that uses a MySql database.

The paginated report is created in visual studio and uses an ODBC connection with the following connection string:
Driver=MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver;server=10.0.0.123;database=machforms

When I create the connection on the report server I receive the error:
Couldn't connect
The report server couldn't connect to the data source using the information you entered. Make sure you've entered the connection string and any credentials correctly.

ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifiedODBC: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

The server running the report server has the 32-bit and 64-bit MySql ODBC 8.0 Unicode drivers installed. A system DSN has beed created for each drive and the connection test is successful.

I have tried multiple connection strings in the data source including the one above and the dsn but continue to receive the sane error.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DMC_PBI ,

Try the following connection methods to see if they work:

vhenrykmstf_0-1661148628860.png

More details, you can read below document:

MySQL :: MySQL Connector/NET Developer Guide :: 4.1 Creating a Connector/NET Connection String

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Henry,

I tried the connection methods you suggested and still cannot get the connection working on the Power BI Report server. 

The ODBC drivers are installed, a system DSN is created for both the 64-bit and 32-bit drivers and both DSNs test successful.

DMC_PBI_0-1661277960893.png

I create a Data Source on the Power BI Report Server using type ODBC (Preview) with the connection string and I recevie the following error. I have tried multiple connection strings and receive the same error.

DMC_PBI_1-1661278600772.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.