Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

yobyot

Newbie question: Does Power BI Report Server running in an AWS EC2 instance support AWS RDS?

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm looking for an authoritative link in the documentation that describes how or if Report Server, running in an AWS EC2 instance (aka, a VM) can connect to an AWS RDS SQL Server database.

I'm trying to get a client who today runs Report Server in an EC2 instance and connects to an AWS EC2 instance running SQL Server to consider migrating the database to RDS. The client insists that things "do not work" in this configuration, including the ability to refresh reports in the web UI (or at least I think that's what he's describing as the limitation).

Thanks in advance for any pointers and, especially, links to the doc that may directly address this question.

1 REPLY 1
DmitryKo
Helper IV
Helper IV

It can connect to any SQL server database, provided that underlaying network connectivity is present and you have appropriate credentials. Wherever that is true or not - depends on your VM/network configuration.

Anyways it's really pointless to put it into the cloud from security prospective.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Kudoed Authors