Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

deryl1974
Frequent Visitor

large string truncates data from sql server query field

Hi,

I have a sql server data fied that holds html and embedded images. When Loading it to Power BI desktop it trucates anything that is more that 32000 something characters. Is there a way to resolve this issue. My goal is to display this HTML data into a HTML Content Visual?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @deryl1974 

Can you share if the workaround (splitting the data into multiple rows and rejoining it with a DAX measure) in Chris Webb's blog work in your case? Here is his next blog about the workaround: Chris Webb's BI Blog: Storing Large Images In Power BI Datasets Chris Webb's BI Blog

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

edhans
Super User
Super User

No, 32,766 is the maximum length of a text field in Power BI. Power Query can handle more, much more, over 1M in length, but it gets truncated. This is a limit of SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Model that Power BI uses. You can read this article that talks about it and may provide a workaround if you want to split the data then rejoin it with a measure. Chris Webb's BI Blog: What Is The Maximum Length Of A Text Value In Power BI? Chris Webb's BI Blog (...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors