Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rebecca6634
Frequent Visitor

filter a table with 800 million rows by a list of values

I have a SQL table (table1) with 800 million rows imported into power bi. One column is called 'clinicalcode'. I have a second table (table2)  imported from an excel document which has 1000 rows and one column called 'code'. The list of codes in the excel document frequently changes.

I want to only keep rows from table1 where 'clinicalcode' matches a value in 'code' from table2 in the most efficient way possible.

using a right outer join and list.contains are taking a long time to process. 

I can't using query folding as one source is in excel and I'm working in Desktop so I don't think I can use the new Power Bi Online list parameter.

What's the best way to solve this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amustafa
Super User
Super User

Best option is to upload your clinical codes to your SQL server then run a join locally at server level to get subset of 800 mil rows.

OR...

Create a list in Power Query from your  'clinicalcode' and update your M Code as following. replace the list name and datasoure accordingly. 

let
    // Assuming StoreKeyList is a query or list defined elsewhere
    StoreKeyList = StoreKeyList,  // Ensure this is a reference to your existing list or query

// Convert StoreKeyList to a comma-separated string for SQL query
    StoreKeyString = Text.Combine(List.Transform(StoreKeyList, each Text.From(_)), ","),

// SQL query with WHERE clause to filter based on StoreKey
    SqlQuery = "SELECT * FROM dbo.FactInventory WHERE StoreKey IN (" & StoreKeyString & ")",

// Execute the SQL query
    Source = Sql.Database("localhost", "ContosoRetailDW", [Query=SqlQuery])
in
    Source

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amustafa
Super User
Super User

Best option is to upload your clinical codes to your SQL server then run a join locally at server level to get subset of 800 mil rows.

OR...

Create a list in Power Query from your  'clinicalcode' and update your M Code as following. replace the list name and datasoure accordingly. 

let
    // Assuming StoreKeyList is a query or list defined elsewhere
    StoreKeyList = StoreKeyList,  // Ensure this is a reference to your existing list or query

// Convert StoreKeyList to a comma-separated string for SQL query
    StoreKeyString = Text.Combine(List.Transform(StoreKeyList, each Text.From(_)), ","),

// SQL query with WHERE clause to filter based on StoreKey
    SqlQuery = "SELECT * FROM dbo.FactInventory WHERE StoreKey IN (" & StoreKeyString & ")",

// Execute the SQL query
    Source = Sql.Database("localhost", "ContosoRetailDW", [Query=SqlQuery])
in
    Source

Thank you! This worked a treat!

How can I create my list of values using the values in a single column from a separate query?

See this video on how to create a list from a table.

The Magic of working with Lists in Power Query (youtube.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors