Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pranim
Helper I
Helper I

desktop file save in power bi

HI All,

Please help me . I created the data in excel file and saved to sharepoint online. I could pull the data to power bi and generate reports but now, when i want to save the file into one drive, it is not allowing me to. Not sure where i am going wrong?

when i see from the file folder it shows the file has been uploaded to folder in onedrive... but actually when i open the one drive i see no files there. 

Please help me with this

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@pranim,

I test the scenario as yours, everything works well. After uploading the PBIX file to OneDrive For Business and connect to the PBIX file in Power BI Service, to schedule refresh for your dataset, you would need to enter the same credential as that you use in Power BI Desktop to connect to SharePoint Folder, you can review the screenshots in my environment.
1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@pranim,

Gateway is not required when you connect to Excel stored in SharePoint Online and refresh the dataset.

And Windows auth type is used when you connect to on-premises SharePoint. OAuth2 type is used when connecting to SharePoint Online.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure I follow you on this one. You uploaded your file to SharePoint Online (not OneDrive?) You pulled the data into Power BI (how?). you want to save to OneDrive but it is not allowing you. What is not allowing you? Desktop, Service? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

Sorry for not being clear, I am new using power Bi. I will go by steps

1. I entered the data manually onto Share point online excel sheets and saved it in share point online.
  2. From power bi desktop I have connected to share point folders and pulled the excel sheet I created
  3. From the pulled data, Created reports in Power bi desktop
  4. Now, I would like to save the  reports onto Onedrive and import the reports onto power Bi service from onedrive. So that I could schedule the dataset.
  5. To schedule the data set its showing me error.  it says that i don't have data source credentials for scheduling. What is data source credentials? How do I get that? 

The overall thing is, I want to schedule the data set in power Bi services and from online material I learnt that, it can be done by saving the desktop files online and importing onto the power bi services.

Please educate me if I am missing or not following the process correctly

Thanks

Pranitha

@pranim,

I test the scenario as yours, everything works well. After uploading the PBIX file to OneDrive For Business and connect to the PBIX file in Power BI Service, to schedule refresh for your dataset, you would need to enter the same credential as that you use in Power BI Desktop to connect to SharePoint Folder, you can review the screenshots in my environment.
1.PNG2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Thank you Zhang, screen shots are helpful. So far everthing i did looks good... but the link is giving me the problem. Once i get the correct link i am good to go, i suppose. I would not need a gateway too, is it?

Why did you choose to sign in with  'OAuth2' credentials... whats wrong with 'windows' sign in?

Thanks in advance 

Pranitha

@pranim,

Gateway is not required when you connect to Excel stored in SharePoint Online and refresh the dataset.

And Windows auth type is used when you connect to on-premises SharePoint. OAuth2 type is used when connecting to SharePoint Online.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors