Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Daniff
Helper I
Helper I

average without Zero - Power querry

Hello please help me.

I want caverage like this. i dont want considered number 0.

thanks

imagem_2022-07-21_184451556.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Try this @Daniff 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUTIEYlOlWJ1oJSMgyxKFZwDnmYBZMJ4xkGUG5xlAVRqAeYZQnoVSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [V1 = _t, V2 = _t, #"Another column" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"V1", Int64.Type}, {"V2", Int64.Type}, {"Another column", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Average" = 
    Table.AddColumn(
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Average", 
        each
            let
                varList =  List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0),
                varAverage = List.Sum(varList) / List.Count(varList)
            in
            if varAverage = null then 0 else varAverage
    )    
in
    #"Added Average"

It returns this:

edhans_0-1658439659095.png
Here is what it does:

1. It converts the current record to a list, so 0,1 for the first record, 2,9 for the second.
  2. It then keeps only the values in the list > 1. So the first list becomes 1, the second remains 2,9.
  3. It then divides the sum of the list by the count of items in the list for the average.
  4. In the case of a record having 0, 0, or all 0's, it will return 0 instead of null.
  5. This doesn't care how many columns you have. It just keeps the same logic over the entire record, so all columns.

edhans_1-1658439832341.png

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Daniff
Helper I
Helper I

Hello thanks for your reply. i want average only 2 selecion columns. i dont want average all columns. please help me.

@Daniff you need to supply sample data. You only gave two columns so the solutions provided average those columns. If you have 30 columns, you have to tell us how you want to identify the two columns. An embedded Record.SelectFields() will work, so you can add that yourself, or you an provide some good sample data per the links below and tell me which columns you want averaged.

You can try this, but if this doesn't specifically answer the question... then sample data. This only averages V1 and V2.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlDSUTIEYlOlWJ1oJSMgyxKFZwDnmYBZMJ4xkGUG5xlAVRqAeYZQnoVSbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [V1 = _t, V2 = _t, #"Another column" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"V1", Int64.Type}, {"V2", Int64.Type}, {"Another column", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Average" = 
    Table.AddColumn(
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Average", 
        each
            let
                varAverage =  
                    List.Average(
                        List.Select(
                            Record.ToList(
                                Record.SelectFields(_, {"V1", "V2"})
                            ),
                        each _ > 0)
                    )
            in
            varAverage ?? 0
    )
in
    #"Added Average"

How to get good help fast. Help us help you.

How To Ask A Technical Question If you Really Want An Answer

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly - Give us a good and concise explanation
How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum - Provide data in a table format per the link, or share an Excel/CSV file via OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.. Provide expected output using a screenshot of Excel or other image. Do not provide a screenshot of the source data. I cannot paste an image into Power BI tables.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Use below formula in a custom column to calculate average without 0

= List.Average(List.RemoveItems(Record.ToList(_),{0}))

See the working here - Open a blank query - Home - Advanced Editor - Remove everything from there and paste the below code to test

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlHSUTIAYjOlWJ1oMAuCYTxjOM8UyDIECRkpxcYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [V1 = _t, V2 = _t, V3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"V1", Int64.Type}, {"V2", Int64.Type}, {"V3", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Average(List.RemoveItems(Record.ToList(_),{0})), type number)
in
    #"Added Custom"

Daniff
Helper I
Helper I

Hello, many thanks, dont have any solution more easy? Thanks

Not that I can think of. This is just a relatively simple but compound formula in the Custom Formula box

edhans_0-1658451810798.png

I could do it without variables, but then I am repeading stuff many times and it start to look like a hideous Excel formula. This is the same thing, but impossible to read and uneditable.

if List.Sum(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0)) / List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0)) = null then 0 else List.Sum(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0)) / List.Count(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0))

There is no List.Average(math here, IgnoreZeros) function though.

@Daniff - @Vijay_A_Verma reminded me about List.Average - I have never used it in practice, but it does make it simpler.

But the above will return null if all are 0. That may be desirable. If not, then you still want the if/then/else construct, so it only slightly simplifies the formula.

let
    #"Added Average" = 
    Table.AddColumn(
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Average", 
        each
            let
                varAverage =  List.Average(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0))
            in
    )    
in
    #"Added Average"

If null is ok when all are zero, the either @Vijay_A_Verma 's function or just List.Average(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0)) will work.

And... actually I remembered that Power Query has a coalesce function, so

List.Average(List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0)) ?? 0

So if the average is null, that formula will report 0.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Try this @Daniff 

let
    #"Added Average" = 
    Table.AddColumn(
        #"Changed Type", 
        "Average", 
        each
            let
                varList =  List.Select(Record.ToList(_), each _ > 0),
                varAverage = List.Sum(varList) / List.Count(varList)
            in
    )    
in
    #"Added Average"

It returns this:

edhans_0-1658439659095.png
Here is what it does:

1. It converts the current record to a list, so 0,1 for the first record, 2,9 for the second.
  2. It then keeps only the values in the list > 1. So the first list becomes 1, the second remains 2,9.
  3. It then divides the sum of the list by the count of items in the list for the average.
  4. In the case of a record having 0, 0, or all 0's, it will return 0 instead of null.
  5. This doesn't care how many columns you have. It just keeps the same logic over the entire record, so all columns.

edhans_1-1658439832341.png

How to use M code provided in a blank query:
1) In Power Query, select New Source, then Blank Query
2) On the Home ribbon, select "Advanced Editor" button
3) Remove everything you see, then paste the M code I've given you in that box.
4) Press Done
5) See this article if you need help using this M code in your model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors