Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

What is the best way to replicate data from Azure Server?

I have an Azure Server set up and have SQL Server 2014 installed.  Is there a method to refresh my Power BI datasets directly to my Azure Server?  Or is is simply a matter of installing the Enterprise Gateway?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MattAllington,

Do you want to refresh data from SQL Server on Azure VM in Power BI? If that is the case, based on my test, we are not able to directly connect to the SQL instance from Power BI Service.

However, we can firstly connect to SQL Server on Azure VM from Power BI Desktop, create reports and then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service. In order to schedule refresh for the dataset, we will need to install personal gateway or on-premises gateway and add data source to the installed gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MattAllington,

Do you want to refresh data from SQL Server on Azure VM in Power BI? If that is the case, based on my test, we are not able to directly connect to the SQL instance from Power BI Service.

However, we can firstly connect to SQL Server on Azure VM from Power BI Desktop, create reports and then publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service. In order to schedule refresh for the dataset, we will need to install personal gateway or on-premises gateway and add data source to the installed gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia.  I suspected this would be the case, but wanted to check.  If I had a SQL Database (not on a VM) in Azure, would it be different?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi @MattAllington,

There is no need to install gateway when you refresh data from Azure SQL database. Power BI Service will automatically refresh the data hourly.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors