Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EeeeenieMac
Regular Visitor

Select row by typing

I have hundreds of text rows in a matrix/table visual.  Rather than scrolling, I would like to be able to select the row by typing the first few letters.  Is this possible?  If not is there a better visual to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @EeeeenieMac 

Currently there is no such feature or workaround that can support jumping to a row in table or matrix visual directly. You could raise an idea about this feature request at Fabric Ideas forum.

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
saud968
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

In Power BI, you can achieve the functionality you're looking for by using the "Filter" option in the matrix visual. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Matrix Visual:

• Add a matrix visual to your report.
    • Place the field you want to filter by in the "Rows" or "Columns" well.
  2. Filtering:

• Click on the dropdown arrow in the column header of the field you want to filter.
    • Choose "Text Filters" and then select "Contains."
    • Enter the first few letters of the text you want to filter.
  3. Search Box:

• If you want a dedicated search box, you can add a slicer visual.
    • Create a slicer using the same field, and users can type in the slicer to filter the matrix.
  4. Keyboard Shortcuts:

• In Power BI Desktop, users can use keyboard shortcuts to navigate and filter the visuals.
    • For example, pressing Ctrl + F opens a search box that allows users to search for and select values.
  5. Custom Visuals:

• If the built-in features do not fully meet your requirements, you can explore custom visuals available in the Power BI marketplace. There might be a custom visual that provides the exact functionality you're looking for.
  6. Power Query:

• If your data is loaded into Power Query and you want to filter the data at the source level, you can apply filters in Power Query.
    • Use the "Filter Rows" option in Power Query to filter rows based on specific criteria.

Best Regards
      Saud Ansari
      If this post helps, please Accept it as a Solution to help other members find it. I appreciate your Kudos!

Thanks so much for the quick reply Saud.

I don't have a drop-down arrow in the column header.  However, i don't want to filter the results.  I just want to be able to quickly jump to the row starting with the typed text instead of manually scrolling.  

As mentioned by @v-jingzhan-msft there is no such feature 

Hi @EeeeenieMac 

Currently there is no such feature or workaround that can support jumping to a row in table or matrix visual directly. You could raise an idea about this feature request at Fabric Ideas forum.

Best Regards,
Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Appreciate your Kudos!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors